I have always found that the perfume reviews I've most enjoyed were more descriptive of a feeling, or the imagery that the fragrance inspires, as such, that is what I intend to do here.

I plan to review (in my own way) a different perfume as often as possible.
I celebrate a collection of over 100 different bottles and large decants. From high-end niche perfumes to celebrity and drug store designs.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ambre Sultan - Serge Lutens

Happy Halloween, personally, my favourite holiday of the year!!!

Today is a sunny day, thick layer of frost, but getting warmer as the day goes on.  I thought it would be a great day to review Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. I have to say, I typically don't wear this on it's own, but instead apply a top sweeter accord to it. Typically a bright and sweet honey accord to brighten up the rather intense aroma, but in the interest of my reviews, I am testing it as a singular perfume.

The images that strike up immediately on application is a dark, but opulent tent somewhere in a foreign region. Instead of bringing to mind a desert, this one actually brings a vision of a dark forest, somewhere in Romania. Rich fabrics, and thick clouds of incense, coupled with a warm wind. Someone smoking a tobacco pipe and drinking a strong black tea laced with honey. 

I find as you wear this, it loses a bit of the initial smokiness, and gets a little sweeter.  The lasting power on this one is incredible. It really packs a punch, which is simply lovely on cold winter days. I would not recommend wearing this in the summer typically, however, I've found a quick spritz to the bare stomach before dressing can do the trick, as it's not quite as over-powering on skin as it is laying on fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment